There’s a meteor headed our way… and most don’t realize they’re dinosaurs.
Digital Darwinism isn’t limited to consumers or businesses… it applies to everyone. In order to thrive, let alone survive, in an ever-changing landscape one must constantly learn and grow. Experience can be a valuable resource. It can just as easily be a crutch. That’s why, in 2017, I decided to pivot…
In 2017, I decided to pivot and become a lifelong learner. I began to study (obsessively as my wife would say) a wide range of topics that I was passionate about.
I taught myself Python to ‘learn by doing’ blockchain, machine learning and big data. I researched digital marketing and social media tools to design better websites. I studied customer relationship management (CRM), philosophy and psychology to better understand digital marketing and search engine optimization (SEO) strategy. I watched ivy-league lectures on finance, economics and game theory to strengthen my business skills. The more I learned the more I wanted to learn… but there was a problem. I had to provide Proof of Knowledge.
When you’re a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Well, when you’re a natural problem-solver, every problem looks like a solution waiting to be found.
My solution was time optimization.
In 2018 I began earning certifications and putting the lessons I learned into practice with every unused minute I could find.
- I watched MIT lectures on Computer Science while getting ready for work.
- I listened to Google Digital Marketing & Analytics courses during my daily commute.
- I took IBM exams on Blockchain, Deep Learning and Big Data during my lunch.
- I read Harvard accounting class notes waiting in line at the grocery store.
- I watched LinkedIn courses on Growth Hacking while waiting for the dentist.
- I prepared for bed by studying the CompTIA Network Security+
- And practiced Machine Learning projects in Python when I couldn’t sleep.
9 months later and it’s 2019.In that time I’ve achieved;
- 23 total certifications in Business & Technology
- An additional 21 Digital courses
- Written a blockchain, a sentiment analysis tool and a Machine Learning classifier script, from scratch, in Python
- Designed and launched the digital and social media marketing campaigns for a startup
- Developed and deployed an Alexa app (or ‘skill’ as Amazon calls it)
- Published over 10 articles both creative and technical.
- Successfully continued to operate and grow a multi-million dollar retail store
- All while, most importantly, loving and never sacrificing my family
(To be continued)